MBAPundit: Columbia Business School, Fall 2007

Sunday, August 07, 2005

The low 700 block

As part of my third week GMAT prep, I took yet another full length test from GMAT Powerprep (the second test) and scored a 720. During the test, I felt like I would get all the Quant questions correct but I ended up doing 3 stupid mistakes and my score fell to 49. The Verbal was a bit weaker at 40.

So far I have pretty much scored in the 700- 720 range, except the one Kaplan test on which I did 670. This is both good and bad. Good from a consistency standpoint but bad because I just dont seem to break beyond 720. I need to be scoring higher than 710 and 720 in my 3rd week if I am to entertain any chances of doing a 740+ on the real test. If my peak is really 720 and this is what I am going to score, I might as well take the test now and then start working on the essays, instead of doing GMAT prep for 3-4 more weeks.

I do have 4 more weeks before my test but a couple of weekends will go to some other commitments I have (far more important than the GMAT or the MBA), so I'd say I really have about 2 solid weeks to prepare for the GMAT. The plan is to do as much of the OG and Kaplan as possible and take 2 to 3 full length tests more.

If I dont hit a 750 in any of the practice tests, I dont see how I would do that on the real test. On the other hand I'd be happy if I got a 720+ even, given that its hard to predict performance based on practice tests and even after scoring 700 plus consistently, people do end up with a 650 on the real GMAT.

I just want the GMAT done and out of the way so I can seriously start finalizing my essays, recommendations etc and also have something else to write about on this blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home