MBAPundit: Columbia Business School, Fall 2007

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Tackling the GMAT

I need to get cracking on the GMAT right away and I need to take the exam quick and do well in my first attempt. Having said that, its not going to be a cakewalk. Its been years since I have done much quantitative work (my job doesnt require me to) and GMAT specific grammar and verbal expertise are not my strengths either. Everyday reading and taking 2-3 tests a week is the plan at the moment. The challenge lies in my highly intense work schedule and my need to parallely research out schools, given the time constraints that I have imposed on myself.

I decided to take an ETS from Powerprep test just to gauge where I stand even before I start preparing. I actually did pretty well for my first test (700 Q48 V38) but believe it was more of a fluke. I know for a fact that I need to work hard on the verbal specially and I cant consistently score the same on other practice tests right now. My target score is 720 or above as I believe the other elements of the application make the difference beyond that point. I have the Kaplan Guide, Princeton Review, GMAT 800 (also by Kaplan), Arco, Peterson's, Barrons and The Official Guide. Realistically I wont be able to go through all these books as I plan to take the GMAT in 4-5 weeks time (if I am going to make any Round 1 deadline).

Its looking like a very tough 4 weeks ahead!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home