MBAPundit: Columbia Business School, Fall 2007

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Unable to get a read ...

... on my Wharton interview.

So I had my interview on campus last week with a second year adcom member. The interview lasted exactly 30 mins and was pretty uneventful, ie no trick questions or mess ups from my side. I was told at the beginning of my interview that my interviewer would take detailed notes and keep track of the time so I should not take it otherwise.

And it was exactly that! I was asked the standard questions - Walk me through your resume, Why current job/role, Short-term and Long-term goals, Why Wharton, Why Now, Example of Leadership, How do you motivate people on a team, any potential weakness or concern on the application and if I had any questions for my interviewer.

What alarmed me slightly was that no follow up questions were asked based on my responses. My interviewer spoke for about 6-7 minutes to ask the questions and I talked for the remaining 24 minutes. Despite my every effort to turn it into a two-way conversation, it didnt happen that way. My interviewer gave out no clues at all (facial expressions, nodding of head, smile, frown - zilch) about how my responses were being received, but took notes furiously - probably every word that came out of my mouth is documented in that interview report.

I left the room with a mixed feeling - good that nothing was botched, bad that I didnt seem to have too much control on the flow and couldnt engage in a conversation during the interview.

Either way, I will find out in 8 days.

5 Comments:

  • It's always a little unnerving when you get no reaction whatsoever from your interviewer. At least it's over and done with! Good luck to you! =o)

    By Blogger BigAppleNosh, at 8:10 PM  

  • i think you did ok....and should have an admit very soon. all the best !

    By Blogger Forrest Gump, at 10:04 PM  

  • Taking notes is good too, no? At least you'll have a meaty interview report =)

    By Blogger SgHama, at 10:44 PM  

  • Good Luck !!

    By Blogger MBABlogger, at 10:12 AM  

  • Thank you for the advice. Good luck with your apps!

    By Blogger SG, at 1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home